The most important part of a taco is the “tortilla” and the the best part is that you can make them at school or at home with your niños. Add any topping and you have an authentic mexican taco, which is with soft small corn tortillas.
What do you need?
- Iron skillet or an electric griddle for schools.
- 1 cup instant corn masa flour Maseca
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup water
- Makes: 8 to 10 tortillas
- Mix the masa flour, salt and water for about two or three minutes. Just like playing with play-dough! If dough feels dry, add more water.
- Help children divide the dough into 8 or 10 equal size balls.
- Extend two sheet of plastic wrap and place one ball at the time between the two sheets. Pat, pat, pat till is flat.
- Peel off plastic.
- Place it in skillet or griddle. Both have to be medium-high.
- Cook one tortilla at a time for 50 seconds, then flip and cook for another 50 seconds.